Latest News

Why old churches look strange?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 , Posted by jam at 4:19 PM

While looking at an old church, I started looking back how it all started. How Catholicism gets to our country? Why more than 86 percent of the population is Roman Catholic? And why old churches look strange and sad?




I love my history subject in grade school, thanks to my teachers I still remember some of the story... I remember before the conquerors (conquerors talaga parang kontrabida)arrived the country, the early Filipinos only believe and praises the nature; the sun, stones, the sea and the trees. They have their God, called Bathala. The creator of earth and man, they have a lot of superstitions but they lived in a simple and peaceful way. Until the explorer named Ferdinand Magellan(isa pang kontrabida) landed the island of Cebu, and noticed how people lived and how they praised for their Gods. He introduces the Roman Catholicism to native peoples, and started baptizing them to Christians. Their simple ways of living have suddenly changed, when spaniards take controlled over the whole country.


Since they already have the knowledge they started influencing the Filipinos. Making them believe that they are more powerful and natives are just slaves. Their mission of teaching the people have turned into some greed intentions. They have brought us the teachings of God but they exploit our resources, they made us slaves, they took our freedom to speak, to be a leader, to live, and to be knowlegeable.


Maybe the old churches looked so sad because of how spanish present us. They should be teaching us the word of god, instead they made us alien in our own country.  Which I think is being suffered until now...


by Jam

Currently have 7 comments:

  1. Hot Classified ready to promote products or your online business, Free. Please fill out the form below. Direct your classified appear in the page posting, after I make sure that you have added Banner "www.hotclassifieds.co.cc" on your blog,

  1. I've been to Cebu, and it's beautiful like you've never seen in your life. The Churches are so old and I love the Beaches! It's breath taking place!

  1. masini says:

    Yes, our ancestors lived in understanding each other. Not like today

  1. All evils spirits die at Churches , all good spirits starts from here may be that the reason it looks strange.

  1. Unknown says:

    I like this blog very much. I have bookmarked this blog to share with my friends about this blog. Lots of information for use on this blog. I will visit again for more information on this blog.
    www.weblinksnetwork.com - Free Link Exchange Directory.